FACS: From College to Cannes Contest
The San Francisco Film Society’s Colleges & Universities program, in partnership with the Consulate General of France in San Francisco and the French American Cultural Society, announces the first ever From College to Cannes Contest.
One American college student will win a free trip to attend the Cannes International Film Festival in May 2010, courtesy of the French government. Prize package includes airfare, nine days’ accommodations (May 13–22) and tickets to festival screenings, parties and events.
- Entrants must be between the ages of 18 and 27
- Entrants must be students currently enrolled in a film studies or film education program (it does not have to be a degree program).
- Entrants must have some proficiency in French and an interest in French culture.
- Entrants must have a personal commitment to the ongoing study and production of film.
- Entrants must be American citizens with a valid U.S. passport.
- Entrants must submit a brief resume or CV.
- Entrants must submit an essay illustrating their passion for film and filmmaking and explaining how they would make the most of their visit to Cannes.
- Essays should be between 500 and 800 words, written in English or in French.
- Three finalists will be selected based on the creativity, depth, enthusiasm, and clarity of their essays and a demonstrated engagement with film in their resume.
- Finalists will take part in a short interview with a small judging panel at the French Consulate.
- One contest winner will be chosen from the three finalists following the interview process.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & DEADLINES - All contest entries must be received by midnight on Friday, February 19:
- Entries must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The subject header of the email should read “CANNES CONTEST 2010” and your full name.
- Essays should be included in the body of the email and attached as a PDF document.
- Entrant’s resume or CV must be attached to the same email as a PDF document.
- The following information must be included in the body of the email:
- Student’s Full Name
- School Affiliation
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
WINNER NOTIFICATION AND AWARDING:
The contest winner will be notified directly in the last week of February 2010 and will be officially awarded the prize at a reception at the French Residence during the 53rd San Francisco International Film Festival in April (date to be announced).