1. ARticle 1 2. ARticle 2
A Schengen visa, also called "C" visa, is a short stay visa (up to 90 days by semester) valid for the 25 States member of the Schengen agreement :
Duration of stay : you may stay up to 90 days in the "Schengen space" with such a visa.
• YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a US Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card") :
|D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre)||Cuba||Djibouti|
|Guyana||Haiti||Hong Kong (except S.A.R.)|
|Liberia||Libya||Macao (except S.A.R.)|
|Somalia||South Africa||Sri Lanka|
|St Lucia||St Thomas||St Vincent|
|Tonga||Trinidad & Tobago||Tunisia|
|Uganda||Ukraine||United Arab Emirates|
*Biometric passports holders of Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia are no longer required to obtain a visa for stays under 90 days.
• NO, if you hold a passport issued by a country NOT listed above, you do not need any visa to enter France for tourism, business or family visit.
However, if the purpose of your trip is NOT tourism, business or family visit then you may still be required to get a visa before your departure. Note that not needing a visa for France does NOT necessarily mean that you do not need one to visit the other Schengen countries.
For security reasons, all applicants, except children under the age of 6, have to appear personally at the Consulate General of France in San Francisco.
The visa section is open to the public on an appointment basis, with no walk-ins allowed.
IF YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR CONFIRMATION RECEIPT IT IS NOT A PROBLEM.
Simply show up on the date and time of your appointment .
No appointment can be made by phone or by e-mailing us. If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling your appointment. Make sure you bring all the required documents when coming to the Consulate General.
Processing time depends on your citizenship.
2 weeks is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
|Qatar||US Re-entry permit||US Refugee travel doc|
|United Arab Emirates||Vietnam||Zimbabwe|
Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.
1. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.
4. One ID picture glued/stapled onto the application form
5. A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid US visa with valid I-94 / valid I-20 + 1 photocopy , or an Advance Parole document. We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders. They must apply in their country of residence.
6. If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country.
7. Proof of socio-professional status :
8. Proof of financial means : your last 2 bank statements
9. Your travel itinerary : you MUST BOOK your airline ticket but do not purchase until the visa has been approved.
10. Proof of medical coverage abroad : a letter from your insurance company stating that you are covered abroad or a travel insurance to be purchased from a travel agency (minimum amount of 50,000 US$)
11. Proof of accomodation :
12. If the applicant is under 18 years old and travelling without his parents :
13. A self-addressed prepaid EXPRESS MAIL envelope from the US POST OFFICE ONLY - NO FEDEX / UPS / AIRBORNE EXPRESS accepted. You may use one envelope per family if you buy `flat rate`
Please do NOT stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out as follows :
 -* Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.