Visa for other French overseas territories
The French overseas territories concerned by this page are :
• French Polynesia
• New Caledonia
• Wallis and Futuna
• St Pierre and Miquelon
• French austral territories
- YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a US Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card") :
|Angola||Antigua and Barbuda||Armenia|
|Australia (except for New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Wallis and futuna)||Azerbaidjan||Bahamas|
|Botswana||Brazil (except for French Polynesia)||Burkina Faso|
|Cameroon||Cape Verde||Central Africa|
|Comoros||Congo||D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre)|
|Haiti||Hong Kong (except S.A.R.)||India|
|Liberia||Libya||Macao (except S.A.R.)|
|South Africa||Sri Lanka||St Kitts|
|St Lucia||St Thomas||St Vincent|
|Tonga||Trinidad & Tobago||Tunisia|
|Uganda||Ukraine||United Arab Emirates|
* Biometric passport holders from Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia are no longer required to obtain a visa for stays under 90 days.
• Diplomatic and official passport holders, please contact us.
- NO, if you are an American citizen or hold a passport issued by a country NOT listed above, you do not need any visa to enter a French Overseas Territories as a tourist for a short stay less than 90 days.
However, if the purpose of your trip is NOT tourism, then you may still be required to get a visa before your departure please check with us.
No, you have to apply for a specific visa, allowing you to visit these territories. If you intend to visit both France and one of these territories, you have to apply for a visa "Schengen + this territory"
- You are traveling directly from the USA to Tahiti without going through Europe : you have to apply for a visa "French Polynesia".
- You are traveling from the USA to New Caledonia flying through Europe : you have to apply for a visa "Schengen + New Caledonia".
Processing time may take about 21 days or longer. Please check with us, mentioning your citizenship.
If you are applying for a visa "Schengen + territory" : please refer to the article Schengen Short stay visa for tourism to know about the processing time.
Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.
1. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.
4. One ID picture glued/stapled onto the application form
5. A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid US visa with valid I-94 / valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document.
We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders. They must apply in their country of residence
6. If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country.
7. Proof of socio-professional status :
o letter of employment in the U.S confirming your salary, hire date, position and dates of vacation (business registration if self employed)
o and your last 2 paystubs
o or letter from your school or university confirming your enrollment status, attendance and anticipated graduation date
8. Proof of financial means : your last 2 bank statements
9. Your travel itinerary : you MUST BOOK your airline ticket but do not purchase until the visa has been approved.
10. Proof of medical coverage abroad : a letter from your insurance company stating that you are covered abroad or a travel insurance to be purchased from a travel agency (minimum amount of 50,000 US$)
11. Proof of accomodation :
o Confirmed hotel reservations for your entire stay in the Schengen states
o or a letter from your travel agent stating that you are part of a tour.
o or, if you are staying with friends or family, original of "Attestation d’Accueil" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France
o For a business trip: please also provide a letter from your employer in the US or from your host company in France stating that you are in France on behalf of the company, giving the name and address of the contact person(s) in France and guaranteeing full responsibility for expenses, lodging, and return to the United States
12. If the applicant is under 18 years old and travelling without his parents:
o notarized copy of his (her) birth certificate
o notarized authorization from both parents allowing their child to travel to France or from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree.
o if you are divorced : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child(ren).
13. A self-addressed prepaid envelope with a tracking number from USPS OR FEDEX ONLY. You may use one envelope per family. You don’t have to provide an envelope if you prefer to pick up your passport when it is ready. For FedEx, you must choose the option “BILL RECIPIENT”, not “BILL SENDER”.
Please keep copy of your tracking number (as we are not going to do so), stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out like this :
88 Kearny Street #600
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94108
Your full name
• The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
• Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents
does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
• Please note that holders of visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into France. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter France.