Short stay visa for studies
• 1. Do you need a short stay visa for studies ?
• 2. How to make an appointment ?
• 3. Processing time
• 4. Requirements
• 5. Important information
1. Do you need a short stay visa for studies ?
• YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a US Permanent Resident Card :
|D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre)||Cuba||Djibouti|
|Guyana||Haiti||Hong Kong (except S.A.R.)|
|Liberia||Libya||Macao (except S.A.R.)|
|Somalia||South Africa||Sri Lanka|
|St Lucia||St Thomas||St Vincent|
|Tonga||Trinidad & Tobago||Tunisia|
|Uganda||Ukraine||United Arab Emirates|
*Biometric passports holders of Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia are no longer required to obtain a visa for stays under 90 days.
• As it is a Schengen visa, it also allows you to visit the 25 other Schengen States as a tourist :
2. How to make an appointment ?
For security reasons, all applicants, except children under the age of 6, have to appear personally at the Consulate General of France in San Francisco.
The visa section is open to the public on an appointment basis, with no walk-ins allowed.
IF YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR CONFIRMATION RECEIPT IT IS NOT A PROBLEM. Simply show up on the date and time of your appointment .
No appointment can be made by phone or by e-mailing us. If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling your appointment.
Make sure you bring all the required documents when coming to the Consulate General.
3. Processing time
Processing time depends on your citizenship. 2 Weeks is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
|Qatar||US Re-entry permit||US Refugee travel doc|
|United Arab Emirates||Vietnam||Zimbabwe|
Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.
The visa section does not make any copies. You must bring your documents and the required copies.
1. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.
3. One ID picture glued/stapled onto the application form
Two application forms and two photographs are required for citizens of the following countries : Egypt, Iran, North Korea, Lybia, Pakistan, Sudan, Syria.
4. A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid US visa with valid I-94 / valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document.
We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders. They must apply in their country of residence. For Camerounese citizens willing to enter Germany, please note that you must present a valid Camerounese Identity card.
5. Proof of registration in a university or school in France
6. Proof of registration in a US school or university
7. Financial guarantee certifying that the applicant will be provided with a monthly allowance of $800.00 for the duration of his/her stay in France, or a proof of personal income along with a letter from school stating that room, board, and tuition are fully prepaid. If you pay for your own expenses, you have to bring your two last bank statements.
8. Your travel itinerary. Do not purchase tickets until the visa has been approved.
9. Proof of medical coverage abroad : a letter from your insurance company stating that you are covered abroad or a travel insurance to be purchased from a travel agency (minimum amount of 40,000 US$)
10. If the applicant is under 18 years old and travelling without his parents:
o notarized copy of his (her) birth certificate
o notarized authorization from both parents allowing their child to travel to France or from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree.
o if you are divorced : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child(ren).
11. A self-addressed prepaid EXPRESS MAIL envelope from the US POST OFFICE ONLY - NO FEDEX / UPS / AIRBORNE EXPRESS accepted. You may use one envelope per family if you buy `flat rate`
Please do NOT stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out as follows :
CONSULATE GENERAL OF FRANCE
88 Kearny Street #600
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94108
Your full name
5. Important information
• The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
• Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
• Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.